Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 39: Preying for Breakfast

February 8, 2011

Today the most handsome visitor dropped by the trees outside my work building today...a hawk! I am not 100% positive as to the species...I am pretty sure it is a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. From what I found online, I am pretty sure it is an adult. And if I was making an educated guess, I am saying it is a male. Again, I have no idea if any of my assumptions are correct, but I am pretty good at researching things, but since I am not an ornithologist I am really only guessing. In my research I did found out a neat fact...hawks are monogamous and mate for life...which I thought was very precious. 

So the story of my hawk is that he and Mrs. Hawk have a lovely little nest...it is in one of the only a couple of miles down the road, in one of the great big trees that are next to the pastures on McCarran. He left early this morning to go out and search for food for himself and Mrs. Hawk and the nest of babies they will soon have. And today he stopped by peruse the foliage around our building. What a good hubby and daddy! Happy hunting, Mr. Hawk!

No comments:

Post a Comment