Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 7: Morning Ice Fog and Taflinger Family Circus

January 7, 2011

We woke up early this morning to head to the airport. It was still dark outside and very, very cold. When I went out to start the truck, I noticed there was pogonip on every surface. It was gorgeous! I ran inside and grabbed my camera-I couldn't believe the unique patterns that had formed on the branches. This is not a thorny bush...but the pogonip makes it looks that way! It is just a normal, bare branch...all the "thorns" are really ice crystals! Beautiful!
Here is a link with an explanation for what pogonip is, if anyone isn't sure. :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_fog)


After we landed in Portland we made our way through the airport out to where the family was waiting...it was a happy and hug-filled reunion!


Then we all went to Shari's for lunch. Uncle Mike ordered a cheeseburger and was in seventh heaven! He and Uncle John usually eat a vegetarian diet, except when Mike is on vacation without him, and then he eats as much steak as possible! lol.


Mikayla and Rosalie finally arrive home from school and then we took Mikayla to get her driving permit...she was super excited and totally adorable! She is a typical 15 year old and was "totally embarrassed" by me taking pictures, but this was a moment that required pictures to be taken! :)


The rest of the night we hung out at the house, played Wii (my favorite was Just Dance!), ate dinner, played and just relaxed and enjoyed each other's company. What a great start to our trip!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing picture! I've never even heard of poginip.... er, however you spell it. I'm definitely going to check out that link you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... even cooler! I had no idea... I just thought it was foggy outside the other day. Love that the photo in the Wikipedia page is of Virginia City!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christy! It was pretty amazing! I am usually not up that early, so it was a fortunate find!:)
    Pogonip is very common around here!

    ReplyDelete